Thinking about what kinds of questions to ask on a college tour?
Whether you are having a virtual or in-person tour, it is super important to prepare some questions to ask ahead of time. This is your opportunity to gain insight from an actual college student’s perspective. You should take advantage and ask them all the questions you are wondering.
If you can’t think of too many, that’s okay. It can be hard to think of everything, which is why I created this list of best questions to ask on a college tour.
What Questions Should I Ask on a College Tour?
From basic questions like food and entertainment options to how competitive is housing, there’s a lot to ask on a college tour. We split all the possible questions you should ask into 5 categories: general, course-specific, opportunities, dorms/housing, and campus resources.
- Why did you choose this school?
- What makes this college unique?
- Are you happy to be here?
- If you could improve one thing about this college, what would it be?
- What do students do for fun?
- Where is the best place to study?
- What are the scholarship opportunities?
- Are sports popular?
- Is the student body diverse?
- Does this university have any traditions?
- What is the most popular event at this college?
- How long is winter break?
- How safe is this school?
- What are the food options around here?
- What are the entertainment options around here?
- Is public transportation free for students?
- Are there any specific student discounts offered?
- Where is the nearest airport?
- Where is the nearest train station?
- Are there any rental car agencies nearby that allow students to use them?
- Is it common for students to have cars at this school?
Course Specific Questions
- Were you able to take most of your first-choice classes?
- Do you have the chance to talk to a counselor before scheduling classes?
- Are we required to speak to a dean/counselor every semester/quarter?
- What are the class sizes for general education courses?
- What are some of the most popular general education courses?
- What are the class sizes for upper-division courses?
- Are there TAs for certain classes?
- Do TAs teach courses?
- Have you had any problematic professors?
- Do you have a school work/life balance?
- How difficult is the transition from general education courses to upper divisions?
- How difficult is the adjustment from a community college to a 4-year university for transfer students?
- How doable is balancing school and a part-time job?
Clubs, Internships, and Other Opportunities
- What are some popular clubs on campus?
- Are there major/career based clubs?
- Are there identity-based clubs?
- Are there hobby-based clubs?
- Are there internship and career resources on campus?
- Are there resume/CV review services available?
- Does this school offer internship and career fairs often?
- Is sorority/fraternity life popular here?
- What type of sororities/fraternities are available here?
- Are there opportunities for undergraduate research?
- Do professors offer research positions to students?
Dorm and Housing Related Questions
- Is on-campus housing guaranteed for freshmen?
- How is the dorm/dining commons/cafeteria food?
- Do the dining commons offer vegan/vegetarian options?
- Do the dining commons offer Kosher options?
- Do the dining commons offer Halal options?
- What is the most common room type for the dorms? (Single, double, or triple rooms)
- Does every floor have a water fountain?
- Does each dorm building have a kitchen?
- What furniture does each dorm room come with?
- Approximately how many people share a bathroom?
- Are there dorm communities for specific identities and interests? (Ex: Single gendered, major based floor, ethnicity/racial identity floors, etc.)
- Are there resident advisors to help out freshmen in the dorms?
- Are there activities/events hosted for students who choose to live in a dorm?
- What are the housing options for second-year students?
- What are the housing options for transfer students?
Resource Related Questions
- How do most students get around campus?
- How do students get around the town/city?
- Are there resources for low-income students on campus?
- Are there resources for minority students on campus?
- Are there resources for veterans and dependents of veterans?
- Are there resources for transfer students?
- Does the financial aid office offer a work-study program?
- Does the financial aid office respond to questions quickly?
- Does this school have study abroad programs?
- Is financial aid offered for study abroad?
- What kinds of tutoring services are offered on campus?
- Are there writing workshops offered?
- Are there mental health resources offered?
- Is there a mental health care facility on campus?
Recap of Questions to Ask on a College Tour
After reading this list you should be prepared to enter your college tours. You may have even thought of other questions that you can ask as well.
It is important to remember any major-specific questions you would like to ask as well. Your tour guide may be majoring in something you are interested in, so you can ask them more detailed questions about it.
Also, note that your tour guide may not have all the answers. So it is important to ask them if they can point you in the right direction to individuals/resources that can answer them.
When I went to view universities one of the big things that I asked was, do you offer study abroad? As I was keen to do a year away! Although that didn’t happen I was able to visit Italy multiple times, Germany and Vietnam alongside my course x
This is such a comprehensive list of questions to ask on a college tour. I’m normally the quiet type during tours, but it makes me wish I had asked some of these questions especially those pertaining to organisations and mental health when I’d done college tours years ago! 🙂 Btw so glad to see your blog is up and running again!! 🙂
Thank you so much Izzy!